Tuesday 25 October 2016

5 SIMPLE THINGS TO GETTING YOUR KID TO SMILE


5 SIMPLE THINGS TO GETTING YOUR KID TO SMILE


As a photographer I always get asked if I got the shot with the kids smiling... well... the answer is...not always.


Let's be realistic, kids will be kids.  And more often than not they will not smile on command, so my job is to make sure that we get at least a couple of good smiles.

Here's how to do just that.

The friend or parent that you bring along to get little Jimmy's attention is not actually helping.  In fact they are a distraction.  Little Jimmy doesn't know me the photographer but having Grandpa Bill standing behind me making funny faces and jingling keys vigorously over my head is not helping.
Why?  Because Grandpa Bill doesn't normally do this with little Jimmy, so he is confused and now a shy because Grandpa Bill is acting like a nut and the stranger is carrying some huge crazy contraction (my camera) that scares him.


So how do we fix this.  Bring Grandpa Bill along of course, but as a part of the session.  Leave the rest up to your photographer.  I always come prepared, whether with a toy or ready to play peek-a-boo or make silly faces.  It is how I get the little ones to trust me.  My biggest challenge however, is that once I have little Jimmy smiling the parents and siblings are usually making a funny face and looking away.

We as photographers hate that.  Parents....look at me.  We may only get one shot at getting the perfect family photo with everyone looking straight.  It's really quiet this simple.

I am a photographer not a Photoshop editor.  So if you ask me to photoshop something I will, but I'd rather get the perfect shot first and I think so would you.




5 SIMPLE THINGS TO GETTING YOUR KID TO SMILE

1.  Don't over stimulate the child.  Too much of something is not always good.
2.  Make sure they get their naps in before a shoot.
3.  Make sure they have a meal or a snack before a shoot.
4.  Bring along their favourite toy.
5.  Don't be forceful or get upset.  The smiles will come, just listen to your photographer.





















And that's all there is to it!  Hope this helped you prepare for your next session!



No comments:

Post a Comment